Radiology Information System (RIS)
A radiology information system is a computerized database used by radiology departments to store, manipulate, and distribute patient radiological data and imagery. The system generally consists of patient tracking and scheduling, result reporting and image tracking capabilities. RIS complements HIS (Hospital Information Systems), and is critical to efficient workflow to radiology practices.
RIS has several functions such as:
- Image tracking
- Patient Registration and scheduling
- Patient List Management
- Interface with modality via Work-list.
- Radiology Department workflow management
- Request and document scanning
- Result(s) Entry
- Reporting and printout
- Result(s) Delivery including faxing and e-mailing of clinical reports
- Patient Tracking
- Interactive Documents
- Technical Files Creation
- Modality and Material management
The radiology information system is considered the core system for the electronic management of imaging departments. The electronic medical record (EMR) is the core informational system for patient management across the health-care system.